Make Doge Merch Great Again

Most Doge Merch Sucks. Let’s make good merch again, and put it in one place.

So much Doge merch for sale out there today is awful. Like, really bad. While some of the community has made awesome stuff, the majority today is cringe, print on demand stuff you’d be ashamed to wear in public or wouldn’t want to collect and put on a shelf in your house. It’s lame. It’s boring. It doesn’t honor the meme or Kabosu herself. It’s just a bunch of randoms trying to make a quick buck, it doesn’t benefit our cause and it doesn’t Do Only Good Everyday.

It’s time for the Doge NFT community to take the torch on this cause for multiple reasons.

1. We can involve our community, and the broader Doge communities, in merch design. We have a lot of talented artists, meme makers, and amazing people who deserve to have their work out there.
  2. The DAO needs self-sustaining revenue. This is a way we can provide value to the DAO and build a real, thriving revenue stream to do more good things.
  3. We can incorporate a charitable benefit to honor Kabosu
  4. We can unite the communities - $DOG, Dogecoin, NFD, and all others behind this.

There are multiple plans for this:

1. An ongoing store that has perpetual items, available without restriction or gating. The only limit is inventory - as ideally we’d like to avoid cheap, low quality print on demand stuff. It should be stuff you want to own! Shirts, hats, slippers, backpacks, stickers, skate decks, collectibles! Pudgy Penguins has been a good example of what NFT merch can look like: https://shop.pudgypenguins.com/ - and I think we can do it better.

2. Limited editions. This is still in discussion - but limited edition products that either are token gated (it can be $DOG, Pixels, POAPs, or more) or are just genuinely limited run products that are first come first serve.

3. Luxury partnerships. This is a longer term goal to make the Doge grow and cement its place in the mainstream lexicon forever. Think DOGE x BAPE, or DOGE x LV, DOGE x GUCCI. There needs to be a charitable element to this. This is very long term, and should be considered back burner - but it’s on our mind.

Goal 1 should be to launch by the holiday season. This is going to be a challenge for some products (serious collectible design and manufacturing would have needed to start earlier), but others will be doable (apparel, stickers, other textiles).

Grant amount proposed:

The initial startup phases are our biggest expenses here. Here’s what I project we will need:

• Legal setup: $2500 (estimate, requires attorney to advise)
  • First merchandise: $5000 (estimate)
  • Initial funding of subscription costs (shopify): $200
  • Initial designs will be community-driven
  • Initial time value of management: $3000

This is for pre-revenue startup phase to get us off the ground. Our goal needs to be self-sustainability. The DIC should be able to choose when to reinvest profits as well, and how to do so.

There are multiple critical KPIs to this project, but the top two are Revenue and Profit. Right now, I do not feel any sort of paid advertising is required - our community is good at spreading the word, so RoAS is not coming into play.

Meet the Team

My name is John Monarch. You might know me by now - I’m the guy who posted “LMBO LOOK @ THIS FUKKEN DOGE” on Reddit in 2010 with Kabosu’s face, kicking off the meme itself, and especially in the West. I went by papajohn56 under that post. Doge became the world’s biggest meme, and spawned numerous offshoots like Cheems and more. I’ve been in internet culture my whole life - my username papajohn56 is my old AOL name from 1998, I lived on chat rooms, message boards, trolling forums, and more for way too long.

But IRL, my background is very non-memely. I’ve been a founder of multiple businesses, including an e-commerce fulfillment center shipping over 20,000 packages per day direct to consumer, worked on imports, supply chain SaaS and web3, been a consultant for numerous e-commerce companies (including Sofia Vergara’s underwear company :see_no_evil: ), and run my own stores.

I will take the torch of running the store, managing setup, getting shipping and packaging ready, etc. I can even ship from my house (but we will need a PO Box for returns)

The DIC team is likely to participate pretty heavily early on with design and strategy decisions. The community will participate and submit as needed.

Plan

The store should be live before US Thanksgiving, 2023 - with some merch being ready for when we visit Kabosu for her birthday and the launch of the statue. What we need:

1. Shopify. We do not need Shopify Plus at this time, just a base plan is fine.
  2. We will RFP and source merch from multiple vendors, same for packaging
  3. Ancillary SaaS for marketing such as Klaviyo

We will sell merch on our own site (shop.ownthedoge.com) at first, and then gradually decide if we want to expand to Amazon sales as well. Amazon seller fees are different, so we want to run as lean as possible at first and focus on owned-sites.

Finances

Please see this Google sheet for Year 1 and Year 2 estimates of expenses and revenues

THESE ARE VERY ROUGH ESTIMATES. It’s hard to determine anything without any real data!

All profits should have 3 goals:

1. Merch self sustainability. Buying more inventory, running the store, maybe even artist commissions.
  2. DAO self sustainability. Paying any staff necessary for this project, funding the Doge Improvement Council, web hosting, other expenses.
  3. More charitable giving

The finances include the following:

• 5% of gross revenue to creator bounties and payments (i.e. giving creators a % of the sales of products their designs are on)
  • 10% of gross revenue to charitable giving
  • 85% of profits after all expenses to the DAO itself
  • 15% of profits to the manager as an incentive to run and improve the store.

In this proposal, for years 1 and 2 I am the manager - however, the DIC should be able to replace me if needed. At any time. Don’t like me? Get rid of me. Think someone else can do it better? Bring them in.

Are there risks or legal considerations?

Yes. We need to consult with an attorney on proper formation of this - likely under an LLC, with an attorney acting as a manager doing what the DIC + DAO say, with the DIC having an override as needed if in the best interest of the project and the DAO. This will require banking for the project, and someone with the authority to sign for things like banking, imports, and a debit card. Taxes will need to be considered, as a DAO is a bit of a strange setup legally. Who is responsible for profits, or is it registering as a nonprofit that owns the LLC for the DAO? All things we will need an attorney to help with.

Can you receive payment in installments or do you need the full budget up front? Vesting is preferred.

Timeline

1. Merch partially or entirely prepared by Doge Pilgrimage 2 (Early November, 2023)
  2. Store fully launched prior to Black Friday
  3. Amazon launched mid-2024
  4. Long term luxury partnerships explored throughout, with a goal of one by 2025.

The DIC will have the ability to appoint the manager and the final say in the store overall, similar to a board of directors.

Contact Info

Telegram: realjohnmonarch

Twitter: @realjohnmonarch

Discord: papajohn56

9 Likes

I am bullish on this proposal and I look forward to discussing it further; We need high quality merch and I believe that you have the skill and drive to deliver. Happy to help where needed if this proposal passes.

4 Likes

This is a great proposal. NFD would love to support this.
Tridog and I had a meeting today with someone very well networked in the fashion world - they would be a great connection for information and resources regarding this venture.
I am in the process of gathering some data from other NFT projects that have run merch campaigns so we can look at what does and doesn’t work by the numbers.

3 Likes

I’ve been saying merch should be one of our top priorities for a long time. Glad to see someone believe in it.

Over a year ago we commissioned award winning graphic artist Stacy Gougoulis to do some Doge x Celeb pieces. We’ve been sitting on them ever since. Would love to see Doge-a Cat embroidered on something… Would need to arrange for a small cut to go to Stacy tho.

Love the idea, and honored to have you here sir.

I have someone very well connected with several “Web3” centered “Web2” fashion brands which could overlap in this way for future collaborations, but these will only want to venture further if sustainable traction is acquired.

I have a few questions and would love your input on this

1. How do you intend to market the ‘brand’; would you create subchannels, instagram, tiktok, or any other ways to market the uniqueness of the products, and if so, what is your vision on this?
  2. You opt towards not doing traditional POD products, but what would be the products rolling out of this, if not POD, what do you have in mind in general to get a bigger picture.
  3. I could personally help out on the branding for video content, look book and photography, i’m somewhat of a dogetographer myself. I think there could be a small portion reserved for this media content for at least your first season of apparel, so you can really kickstart the first drop.
  4. Sourcing of material and production, do you have partners in mind for this to hit the exclusivity factor?
  5. Seeing doge is a worldwide brand, without POD, how do you intend to keep shipping fees reasonable for Worldwide shipping (tax, import duties, etc)?
  6. Personally, I would go for the limited editions route, it would enhance the exclusivity factor by 420%, and have 3 basics which are always present; combined with selected curated artists from within web2 and web3, this could be a very good approach.

Would love you input… and great barkposal. :dog2:

2 Likes
  1. Right now we need to bootstrap it. It would be on our own channels, Doge communities, spreading the word, and any influencers in our community to help get it off the ground. So no ads initially. I think we should use the ownthedoge channels that exist - fracturing the marketing only means needing to grow new accounts, and would take a lot of time and effort to do so. We can consider splitting it off later if we see a need imo. Later on, I’m not opposed to (and budgeted some for) targeted ads (twitter, fb/ig for people in crypto etc) would do well. I think we could have them be performance based. We also should work to get PR for launches of unique collectibles.

2. I don’t think the quality of POD is what we want to build a brand off of. Too many times I’ve seen POD have faded, low quality prints, low quality shirts, and we wouldn’t have much of a say in supplier sourcing to ensure ethics and an ethical supply chain. I’d rather be in full control and hold inventory. Like I said I’ll hold it at my house even for a bit. Worst case we get a storage unit later, and if this REALLY blows up, we work with a fulfillment partner.

3. Awesome! And I agree. I can adjust for that.

4. For some things I do (stickers, shirts, general merch, etc). For others that are more serious (figurines, collectibles) I’d want to do almost an RFP process in a way.

5. I love this question - because shipping is what I know. POD shipping doesn’t really keep cost down, most of these POD vendors are US-based and focus on US shipping, so their international shipping is also expensive. So I tend to use the following:

a) Up front, USPS. Both domestic and international. We can get Commercial Plus pricing for domestic pretty easily, and internationally we can get access to Simple Export rates that support shipping up to 4lb (just under 2kg). While it’s not cheap (it never will be to ship internationally), we can do it for low weights for less than $10. It’s possible to subsidize it through “free international shipping for orders over $X.XX” type of setup as well. Over that weight it will entirely depend on the country.

b) If this does scale to doing say, hundreds of orders per day - then we can work with a fulfillment partner. They typically will have contracts with consolidators, or we can set one up to help keep the cost down. I’ve seen it be as low as $6.50/lb to some countries, but rates have gone up due to fuel costs.

1. I agree with some of it. I think we need some constantly available products to make sure the store has ongoing success, and then also do limited editions peppered throughout the year.

Love this! Always wanted to see a Doge merch store. You are right, there are quite a few merch stores out there but have no consistency or quality. Amazon could be huge- designing a personalised home page, probably some promotions might also work there but that’s a discussion for later days.

I personally am a huge fan of sourcing designs from the community. Perhaps we should start off with some design requests to keep an intact theme for the store. Luxury brand partnerships are good but hard to achieve. We should also focus on partnerships within the industry with people who run successful merch stores like pudgy. Brands like adidas and nike which are trying to get into web3 can also be approached with collab ideas. The space is as big as we can imagine.

Lastly, John has been a great community member and I am BULLISH JOHN! LFD

This is really good initiative. I would love to help with the production of merchandise (tshirt, stickers, hoodie, cap, bags etc) at the cheapest cost possible and in a really good quality. I have done the merchandise production for wassies meet-up in dubai. Feedback is really good. Cost is production per t-shirt is under $10 I can ship world wide

Are you in the OwnTheDoge discord? I’d like to take a look at what you work with and can do

Gm sir !

Really awesome initiative ! I’m in love with the initiative, I feel it’s a great way for people to be introduced to Doge !

I would also add that on my end with the museum of memes, I’ve been able to create prints that are museum-grade quality.

So if you want to integrate this to the Doge Merch (Most photos / PNG can be printed) I will gladly help on this initiative !

LFD Bullish JOHN !

Edit : Could also help in the fashion industry got some connections

Here are some examples of prints :

1 Like

Love this proposal and huge supporter of seeing it pass! Lets go!

1 Like

Would love to have a one on one to get to know you!
Love the idea and answers.

1 Like

Yes. Just yes. I have some idea on merch types and design too, but looks like we have an all stars crew down in the comments! Can’t wait to get some merch for Christmas.

I’m so fired up for this. I’d love to offer myself (as a non-DIC) to help consult with products/designs, especially with the female audience in mind…someone needs to be the voice of reason and fill the void between men’s t-shirts and obnoxious crop tops available

2 Likes

defs need diversity when designing the products. Hire Rach

1 Like

I think ethics/sustainability is really important something we need to prioritise when considering all the options for printing, etc.

We are committed to doing only good everyday. That means not supporting fast fashion or sweatshops, ensuring that materials are ethically sourced, etc.

Defs want to be able to point to our merch and say “not only is it fun, unique, and Dogely, but it gives a % to charity, is carbon neutral, and supports the development of x marginalised peoples,” etc.

2 Likes

I’m willing to buy some of these to print stickers and posters if you like.

I think we can hold off on buying equipment yet - right now we can keep costs lower and not have to worry about recouping capital investment in equipment that way. Maybe in the future?

Ethical supplying was part of my plan from the start, I can include it more explicitly. The charitable component I figured would rotate or change throughout the year, or be voted on. I’d love to propose something eventually or one-time go to my area’s humane society for instance, the largest no-kill shelter in the Southeastern USA, and where I adopted my good gerl doge from

1 Like

The soonest I can order it would be October.