Statue Unveiling = Doge Pilgrimage v2

OVERVIEW

Remember how dope pilgrimage v1 was? https://twitter.com/ownthedoge/status/1668658582043209731?s=20&fbclid=IwAR1UeFk1q9SGc7qJDRSM74Z9gZnt8tzrupMitYhAKhjgK7AVn7ZG_H4vvQg

Lets do it again, bigger, and better, for the unveil of the Doge Statue in Sakura City!

Outcome

Organize an awesome event surrounding unveiling of the Doge Statue in Sakura City.

How

Organize lodging, events, food, marketing, promotional material, and fun community engagement to make the unveiling a truely memorable experience. To fund the event, sell tickets to 20-40 of the biggest Doge Fans in the World that includes lodging, transportation, food, and swag.

Urgency

Need to plan ASAP as the Statue will be ready by Kabo’s B Day, with unveiling planned for Nov. 2nd.

Main Goals

1. Have a massive event in Sakura Park celebrating the unveiling of the Doge Statue, with Atsuko, Kabosu,the Mayor and Kabosu Fan Club.
  2. Organize special VIP lodging (2 nights), transportation, events, and activities for the people who purchase a ticket. We want anyone that purchases a ticket to meet life-long friends and have a wonderful experience.
  3. Event in Sakura park would be open to public, invite Kabosu fans from all over Japan to attend.
  4. Offset majority of costs to DAO with ticket sales
  5. Coordinate in partnership with NFD community
  6. Create viral content and document trip
  7. Post trip NFT Drop?
  8. Ask other DAOs to co sponsor? (NFD, Nouns, PizzaDAO)

Ideas for Event:

Speeches by Major, Atsuko, John Monarch, Games, puppet shows, food trucks, DDP, DJ, flashmob, birthday cake + sweet potatoes, Drone show.

Ask

Approve funding of DOG equal to USD $30,000 for reserving hotels, experiences, and booking flights and paying for PM and translation services. Each ticket will be all-inclusive (minus flight which will be booked separately).

The expenses will be split between lodging, staffing/ project based work, and paying for activities, food, and fun during the trip.

*Note: Expenses will be booked on credit cards and reimbursed in DOG (versus spending DOG).

The revenue from ticket sales and profit goes back into daoge.eth. If the grant is not fully utilized the surplus goes back to the DAO.

TIMELINE

Timing

August, September, will be used to plan and sell tickets. Trip first week of Nov., with main focus on 2 night stay + day statue unveiled.

PEOPLE

Project Manager: PM For full project, expected to be spending a lot of time (~280 hours). Paid hourly + flight + ticket.

Who: I would nominate SaladPingers, he PMed Pilgrimage v1 and Statue and did a great job with both.

Content Lead: Content in run up to event, capturing as much as possible while there, and dropping tiktoks and videos. In exchange for flight + ticket.

Who: I would nominate Mojo jojo, she made multiple viral videos for us post pilgrimage, and makes dope graphics. She also missed the last pilgrimage.

Translator: Translation services, before, and during, event. $1,700.

Who: I would nominate Yohei, he did an excellent job during the pilgrimage.

Meme Maker: Memes for marketing pre-post event. In exchange for flight + ticket.

Who: I would nominate Opti, he made many Doge memes and missed the pilgrimage.

Community Manager: Live streams, community engagement, pixel perk? In exchange for flight + ticket.

Who: I would nominate Smoke, she is a community manager for OTD, awesome person, and missed the pilgrimage.

PR: Help get this picked up by news in Japan and Globally

Who: I would nominate John Monarch, he created the Doge Meme, good at PR, and needs to be at event. In exchange for free ticket.

Special Guest: I would love to invite Bad Luck Brian + Ian on the trip, they were such awesome ads on pilgrimage + I think we could make some more bomb content with them

Costs:
Fees for work: $8825
Accommodation (for 40 ppl): $14000
Flights (subsidises staff): $6000
Transport: $800
Food: $2580
Marketing/Promotion/Activations: $2500
Marketing/Promotion: $1500
Contingency: $2000

Total = $38205

Revenue:
Tickets: 30 for 1k each = 30k
Merch: Revenue TBD and would require OTD ownership: Designed by artist and sold in online shop
NFT: Revenue TBD and would require OTD ownership: We could do a 3d scan of the mini statue and make an NFT, or sell 3d prints.
Social Media Impressions: If we bring Bad Luck Brian and Scumbag Steve I think we could make some epic viral content.

Profit from the project goes back to the DAO.

Thinking of selling tickets for $1000 (BYO flight), with a discounted option for previous Doge Pilgrims.

Plan to coordinate and make things work is bring Yohei on board to translate in group chats w Atsuko and Sakura City. negotiate with the council to see what they will front and how they can support/connec.

Use existing tg chats with OTD cru to get support from current staff (marketing, memes, etc)

3 Likes

I think this could be really dope; The statue unveiling will be a pivotal moment for the project and in the story of Doge and it makes sense to me to have some people from the team attend and document this monumental event; I also love the idea about seeking out cosponsors to curb costs.

3 Likes

Ofc I love this and want to see it happen.

I would like to understand a breakdown of costs a bit more.

I would also be interested in how we coordinate with the city, the foundry, Atsuko, and the Doge Day team (TBD) to align all forces for good.

Also, I think we should consider other meme collisions too given how successful Bad Luck Brian x Doge was as viral content. Mr Beast, Hasbulla, etc, could also be fun and fresh creating a totally new piece of content/NFT that brings revenue back into the DAO to continue its work.

2 Likes

It would be amazing if we could somehow get Mr. Beast on board.

I think PewDiePie also moved to Japan - but I know literally nothing about him, if he’s controversial or not etc.

3 Likes

Fees: $8825
Accommodation (for 40 ppl): $14000
Flights (subsidises staff): $6000
Transport: $800
Food: $2580
Marketing/Promotion/Activations: $2500
Marketing/Promotion: $1500
Contingency: $2000

Total = $38205

Profit from the project goes back to the DAO.

Thinking of selling tickets for $1000 (BYO flight), with a discounted option for previous Doge Pilgrims.

Plan to coordinate and make things work is bring Yohei on board to translate in group chats w Atsuko and Sakura City. negotiate with the council to see what they will front and how they can support/connec.

Use existing tg chats with OTD cru to get support from current staff (marketing, memes, etc)

2 Likes

Would love a connec :slight_smile:
I think Tri said he messaged Mr Beast’s ppl before, but it didn’t come through.

PewDiePie might be possible cos of location, but again, need that sweet connec.

Agree with the sentiment fo sho.

HUGE supporter of Pilgrimage V2! Last Pilgrimage was a success and I imagine this one to be a bigger event than the last.

We have tried and tested many things out the last time and going with the best learnings will definitely help improving pilgrim experience and ease some parts of our work. Knowing that large events could be possible in the Sakura City park, we can take a larger group this time and also reduce ticket prices as this will only be a 2 day experience.

We can also explore multiple ticket options like full package where pilgrims pay for 2 or 3 whole days with OTD and “meet the doge” package where they get to attend only the Statue unveiling. Something we can explore later.

I also love the names which have been proposed and definitely want them to be on the pilgrimage this time!

!pray

1 Like

I would also be interested in how we coordinate with the city, the foundry, Atsuko, and the Doge Day team (TBD) to align all forces for good.

Yohei has been a great asset so far, I think we hire him to help with translation, Salad manages project, and you provide connections when relevant.

Also, I think we should consider other meme collisions too given how successful Bad Luck Brian x Doge was as viral content. Mr Beast, Hasbulla, etc, could also be fun and fresh creating a totally new piece of content/NFT that brings revenue back into the DAO to continue its work.

More the merrier, I know BLB is friends with scumbag Steve, maybe we can get him. If we are offering the room + food without flights the cost to us is fixed at 1k or less. Will need help (Via twitter DMs) + an additional proposal and plan if we want to land Hasbulla, last communication indicated that we would need to fly and house 4-5 people and cost will be 20k. Mr. Beast would be great but i’m not sure if it is possible, worth a try though.

Well said, adding this text to the proposal.

Go for it, but is it really just for 2 days? People on the team that didn’t have a chance to go before really deserve to, but to be fair i don’t understand why this is a dao proposal since most of the people mentioned are on the team or close to it. Maybe it’s just for formality sake, idk. The dao should set aside funds for things like this as discretionary or whatever you’d want to call it since votes and opinions don’t really matter from the community at-large. Seems disingenuous if that makes any sense. I would just assume it’s a part of business since it doesn’t benefit anyone else.

There’s been a restructure recently, which I guess hasn’t been shared publicly. Unfortunately a number of the people mentioned, including myself* no longer have official ongoing paid roles within the DAOge.

It has been decided that core staff should be scaled back to a governing council, and then most activations/expenses/etc should be in the form of DIC proposals. So yeah, it’s a formality as you suggest, but in the name of spending less, and being more public about the DAOge’s treasury.

I agree that the DAOge should have funds set aside for core activations like this, but that’s not how the restructure has ended up. Maybe you could suggest it in a DIC proposal :wink:

*I am currently still getting paid a reduced rate of $240 per month to continue Project Managing the Bronze the Doge project. It should have been mentioned in this proposal that if it passes, I will opt to stop receiving that payment, and just take the fee I’m asking for, to continue my BtD work and take on the other jobs to make this event a success. After this proposed event in November, I will not be compensated by the DAOge, unless I submit another successful DIC proposal.

1 Like

These are good points and questions

2 days? → Last pilgrimage was 4-5 and felt pretty intense, and too expensive for most people. people can extend their trips to travel for sure.

People on the team that didn’t have a chance to go before really deserve to, but to be fair i don’t understand why this is a dao proposal since most of the people mentioned are on the team or close to it. -->I think it is for formalities sake so people know what the $ is being spent on, same time and as Salad mentioned, only Smoke and Mojo in the list above currently work for the project.

The dao should set aside funds for things like this as discretionary or whatever you’d want to call it since votes and opinions don’t really matter from the community at-large. → I think the discretionary funds idea is a good one, but also, if the community hated the idea it wouldn’t go forward.

I would just assume it’s a part of business since it doesn’t benefit anyone else.–> It would be a shame if the statue gets unveiled and no one shows up. Anyone can go to the unveiling on their own dime, or can pay 1k usd for a ticket that includes lodging, food, and some other fun stuff, I think that is fair. Last time we visited Japan the guests had a blast, not just the OTD team.

I think your points on "governance theater’ are good ones to keep in mind as well

1 Like

maybe after the statue unveiling happens, the daoge can plan a way to set aside funds for one major event to organize next year? Whether it’s the pilgrimage or something different, but that way operating costs, etc. can be budgeted in advance and allowing some smaller initiatives help go towards that event…that way all the projects by the core team/council move toward the same goal.

what i meant by the trip being a part of business was that it doesn’t directly impact anyone not going. sort of a moot point i guess.

just some thots. but i’m still giggling because i still can’t believe we are actually putting in a statue. somebody pinch me :rofl: :yellow_heart:

I like these ideas! We really need to organize a meet up in the US imo, even if it is smaller it would be a blast.

Also, would be cool to post jobs for events so community members without $ can join in exchange for werk

1 Like

Love the idea, I’m wondering how we could get KOL’s involved. I think something like Mr Beast is going to be hard, pewds just had a baby boy so also might be off the record, we could instead focus on artists, influencers and projects based in Japan to participate (in a more stripped down manner); as special guests.

Would also be a great indirect way to let those web3 centrics know about OTD.

I have no further points about the plan, imo it’s solid. Apart from perhaps hiring someone locally for video content we could repurpose (if Mojo can’t, or me).

I’m also checking if I could fly in, in that case I’m happy to make some video content and photography and script that.

Ideally a limited edition POAP, which could tap into an digital collectivle + exclusive print about Kabosu + statue would be awesome.

1 Like

Agreed Mr. Beast isn’t gonna work, I love the idea to get some local peeps more involved. Would love to have u on the trip and def could use a videographer!

2 Likes

I absolutely support this proposal and would like to contribute in any way I can. The last pilgrimage was amazing and I would love to go again!

3 Likes

We could line up and invite special guests locally, there are several top tier projects and artists in Japan, it would be dope. I’m all for it.

1 Like

just a quick note, we have funds and interests from a variety of parties that want to support this event - would prob be worth having a call to discuss all the points

1. National Doge Day team wants a launch event on Nov 2

2. Foundry wants a statue unveiling event

3. Mayor/city wants to promote the event for tourism

4. Own The Doge wants to share what all our work has led to

5. Dogecoin Foundation and frens want to also show their funds at work